Who doesn’t love a pretty, big puffy bow? And who doesn’t love it even more if it’s adorned on top of a cake?? It just gives it an adorable little look, perfect for a little girl’s birthday cake or just for fun. Keep reading to learn how to make one of these fabulous edible bows.
Fondant (I used homemade marshmallow fondant)
Exacto or paring knife
Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Roll out the fondant to about 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out 2 shapes like the ones below.
2. Pleat the edges and use water to glue it together. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on either a plate or parchment paper and set the fondant on it and let it dry overnight. If you want it to have a curved like edge, set it on top of a bowl upside down or a Styrofoam cake and let it dry on that.
3. Roll out more fondant and cut out a decent sized rectangle.
4. Pleat the two edges and then bring them together. Use the knife you have on hand and cut out the excess that shows on the bottom part.
5. Take some plastic wrap and roll it up into 2 logs. Insert the plastic wrap into the folds of the fondant bow to give it a puffy effect. Use water to glue the center top and center bottom together. Dust powdered sugar onto a surface like before, set the fondant on it and let it dry overnight.
6. Once dry place the fondant bow onto your cake.